Friday, October 31, 2008

Blog Choice - Rant About.....Math

Math enrages me. Yes, people need numbers at some point in reality, but why mix them up into impossibly solvable questions? All that ever happens is students are tortured and pressured into grasping complicated concepts. On another note, I don't agree with whoever decided to interbreed the alphabet and numbers! The alphabet is a different set of characters completely unrelated to numbers for a reason! The rate of confusion in a letter-number (variable) math question escalates rapidly, especially if a person doesn't get the concept when only numbers are used. In terms of actually learning the concepts, it's really difficult to make it through math if the teacher only teaches the concept once, and then immediately expects everyone to understand it. I guess there is a point to having really complex math questions because there are certain professions, such as carpentry, where people use numbers every day. I think that the only people who should be subjected to these mind-boggling concepts should be those who want to persue a career in a number-related field of work. Math constantly boggles the brain, and I see no point in putting yourself through mental pain doing difficult math when the person who invented math could have just used "normal" numbers.

No comments: